Monday, August 3, 2015

100 Scariest Movie Moments: #94 Pacific Heights

If I had to pick one movie that didn't belong on this list, it would be this one. I don't hate Pacific Heights for existing, but I hate it for being on this list. It's a completely generic thriller, no different from a dozen other completely generic thrillers that come out every year. Why this particular thriller stuck in the public consciousness, I have no idea, except perhaps that Batman is the villain. And given that I don't even like Michael Keaton as Batman, you can guess that this scores few points with me.

I've heard conflicting views on how realistic the legal aspects of this movie are. Supposedly, in California, tenants are almost impossible to evict. However, when you're releasing cockroaches into the other building, creating noises that keep the other tenants up at all hours of the night and refusing to even make your initial payment, while also refusing to let the landlords so much as inspect the property, I'd like to think there's something the police could do.

The plot of the movie is that Michael Keaton's character, Carter Hayes, comes from a rich family that disowned him. He rents apartments, wrecks the place, and then buys the property cheap when the bank forecloses. He seems to be uninterested in actual profits from this. As far as I can tell, he just wants to ruin peoples’ lives. He has an accomplice named Greg (James Spader) who seems to exist mainly to be an asshole, and to allow Hayes to avoid direct confrontations with the Landlords.

I literally don't think a single person involved in this movie saw it as anything more than cashing a paycheck. The entire film feels generic as Hell. And the performances are at best adequate, and at worst completely indifferent (Spader embodying the worst). A large portion of Hayes' actions seem to be based around creating as many creepy visual images as possible for the audience, even when they put his plan in danger. For example, he steals someone’s cat, and comes to the house at a point when he is dependent on their belief that he's out of town and can't be contacted.

At the same time of course, the Landlords, Drake Goodman and Patty Palmer (Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith), don't help the situation. Or rather, Goodman doesn't , while Palmer contributes virtually nothing but whining until the final act of the film. Goodman, realizing himself to be “morally right,” cuts off Hayes' power and heat to force Hayes' out, thus putting the law on Hayes' side. This initial mistake was understandable, but after he already should have seen Hayes' game, he attempts to destroy his car, and then publicly assaults him. He even violates a restraining order, allowing Hayes to legally shoot him without repercussion. This man is an idiot.

The idea that this movie is even frightening makes me roll my eyes. It takes a full hour for a single human life to be in the slightest amount of danger. In the final act, Hayes having fled, Griffith does seek him out, putting herself in real perile in the process. By posing as his wife, she enters his hotel room and finds out that Hayes has stolen her husband's identity. She has Goodman freeze all of his assets and then calls for an expensive dinner party at the hotel room, leaving Hayes unable to pay for it. She also calls the police to report that his car is stolen, and steals a great deal of evidence against him, thus making his confrontation with them all the more personal. Why she didn't simply call the police, resulting in every single thing that she did to him happening anyway I have no idea.

In the last 12 minutes of the film Hayes seeks them out for revenge. I have not a clue what happened to Greg, who had a conflict with Hayes halfway through the movie and then seemed to just disappear into thin air. But Hayes falls on some pipes and is impaled, so everyone lives happily ever after.

As I said before, I don't hate this movie. I can't imagine I would ever discourage anyone from watching it. But likewise, I can never imagine myself recommending it. Even if someone came to me and said “I want to watch a really generic thriller, with some A-list actors clearly just making a quick buck,” I imagine I'd respond with Fracture.

No comments:

Post a Comment