Monday, August 31, 2015

100 Scariest Movie Moments: #86 The Wizard of Oz (1939)

I try to start all of these off with a plot summary. Even if it's a well-known film, I feel that leaving a plot summary out would hurt the feeling of continuity between posts. That being said though, this time, I just can't do it. Attempting to summarize the plot of The Wizard of Oz would be not only redundant, but insulting to the reader.

That said, this movie probably means a lot less to me than it does to most people. While I have seen it multiple times, I'm fairly certain I saw the 90s cartoon long before I saw the movie. I remember a period in my life when that show represented my understanding of The Wizard of Oz, and my default version of the song was “We're off to save the Wizard.”

For that reason, along with the fact that it's been years since I've watched either version, I look on this movie with fairly fresh eyes. I really expected to have to look hard to find the fear. I was ready to try hard to put myself into the perspective of a small child to try to understand how anyone could possibly find it scary... and amazingly, I didn't have to. The witch (Margaret Hamilton) and the flying monkeys manage to be scary, even for an adult.

Comparing movies to dreams is something that gets thrown around in film criticism a lot. It seems to be code for “I like this film, despite it making no logical sense, so I'm going to pretend it's like a dream.” For this film, though, I can see the comparison as valid. The idea of an evil witch telling you that you'll be killed when an hourglass runs out is exactly like something that would happen to me in a nightmare. She has no logical reason to give Dorothy any amount of time to live, but she does it anyway to create a sense of dread. The story runs on emotion rather than logic.

The flying monkeys, meanwhile, seem surprisingly realistic for a film made in the 1930s. In fact, many of the effects, the costumes not withstanding, are surprisingly not dated. I can only attribute this to the use of practical effects in an era long before the notion of a computer capable of generating a still image, let alone a space battle, had even been dreamed of.

There's an ongoing debate about how old Dorothy (Judy Garland) is supposed to have been in this adaptation, with many claiming that the 16-year-old Garland was playing a 12 or even 8-year-old. Shirley Temple, who would have been 11 at the time of the film's release, had apparently been considered for the role. Personally, I prefer to think of Dorothy as Garland's age. Granted, she would be an incredibly naïve 16-year-old, assuming that the Wizard (Frank Morgan) can arbitrarily do anything without any rhyme or reason to his powers, but I find it hard to believe that a totally innocent 12-year-old from Kansas would be able to adapt to the situation she was in, or even fully comprehend it.

While it doesn't directly relate to the fear aspects of the movie, I would like to note that I approve of the ending. For anyone unaware, the idea of Oz being a dream was forced on the film by studio executives who thought that 1939 audiences couldn't deal with the idea of a literal fantasy land. Many people today feel that this was a misstep. I, on the other hand, feel that making it a literal place close enough to Kansas to travel to by Tornado would have simply been too idiotic to accept. Maybe I'm too logical, especially after praising the movie for running on emotion over logic, but that would have just bugged me. Fantasy lands are traveled to by portal, or concealed by magic. You don't get to them by physical movement without supernatural help!

Recommending this film would be like recommending oxygen: There's no way that you've lived long enough to be literate, and not seen it. So, why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment