Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wednesday Review: Lights Out


I’ve waited five days to write this. This movie hit me pretty hard for personal reasons. A friend of mine with bipolar disorder passed away tragically a few years. While I’m not a psychologist to assess the accuracy, I can say that the portrayal here seemed close enough to me to have me fighting back tears. That makes me a bit uncertain how objective my review will be when I describe this film as impactful, but I will do my best anyway.

Lights Out honestly looked like another gimmicky monster movie. A girl with an allergy to light died in a horrible experiment, and now her ghost is attacking people in the dark. The trailer looked cheesy as hell.

Instead of a formula monster movie, however, I got a horror film that plays around with the conventions of storytelling. This is the endpoint in a family drama that has played out over many years and two generations. We’re told about things that have already happened in vague terms, and get flashbacks from people who did not witness the events that are being described. This isn’t a film that answers all its questions.

Our main character is a young woman named Rebecca who was raised by a mentally ill mother named Sophie. As a child the mother had a “friend” named Diana who died in the aforementioned horrible way. Whenever the mother stops taking her medication her “friend” begins to manifest, showing violent tendencies to anyone who attempts draw Sophie away from her. While Rebecca has long abandoned Sophie, she now has a younger brother named Martin who she feels she must protect as Diana begins to surface again.

This isn’t a great movie because it’s flawless, but because it’s able to make you not care about its flaws. There are certainly major gaps in logic. If Diana can manifest anywhere dark why can’t she just appear in Rebecca’s stomach and kill her from the inside? If Rebecca cared so much about her younger brother, why didn’t she discuss the threat of Diana with Sophie while she was well? Why does she literally leave her brother in a dark room at one point? We’re all perfectly prepared to forgive these problems because the characters are strong.

The only flaw that does bother me is Rebecca’s boyfriend Bret. This isn’t because he’s a bad character, but because he’s a good character who’s woefully underused. He’s a force of stability and support to Rebecca, as Rebecca fights between love of her brother and her own desire for freedom. The problem is that the filmmakers apparently wanted to subvert the cliché of “I don’t believe you, but I’ll support you until we can prove it isn’t real.” Without this cliché, Bret has nothing to do until he actually sees the ghost, and for a good twenty minutes of the film he barely utters a word while following along with Rebecca and Martin through the plot.

This movie is quite short, so if I were to make a perfect cut it would include another ten or twenty minutes of scenes with Bret around the middle of the movie. Granted, such scenes would likely be unnecessary to the plot, but this is a film that has room for some expansion. It was based on a short film already, so they could always stretch it a bit more.

Do I recommend this film? Absolutely! Or at least to anyone who isn’t going to be triggered by a disturbing portrayal of the pain of mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment