Monday, July 25, 2016

Masters of Horror: Episode 9 Fair Haired Child

When assessing film, I've heard arguments about whether “bad” is simply the absence of “good,” or if truly “bad” films need to do something to make you hate them. I think I’ve decided to call Fair Haired Child “bad” without anything especially atrocious in the episode. My problems can be boiled down to two simple thing: too much going on, and truly atrocious Dawson’s Casting. Neither of these led me to actively hate the episode, simply to wish it would hurry up and end.

I’m told by tvtropes that our protagonist, Tara (Lindsay Pulsipher), is supposed to be 13. Her actress was 24 when this episode premiered. She finds herself kidnapped and locked in a room with Johnny (Jesse Hadock), who the episode refers to as 15, but who is played by a 19-year-old actor. Eventually, she finds out that Johnny drowned many years ago, and she’s the last of twelve children who his parents have to sacrifice to bring him back from the dead permanently. He will transform into a monstrous form (the titular “Fair-Haired Child”) and dismember her.

When I say there’s too much going on, I refer primarily to Johnny’s parents (William Samples and Lori Petty). In a two-hour film they likely would have worked better, but here we get far too much on them: their guilt over their son’s death, their life as musicians, and their arguments over the ethics of what they’re doing. All of this just feels like a distraction from Tara and Johnny, whose relationship could have been better developed with the time.

The ending of the episode really drives this home, as Johnny is finally made articulate after spending most of the episode mute. He tells his parents that he was always jealous of their musical talent, wishing he could find a talent of his own. He announces that he finally has. He’s great at bargaining! The evil force that his parents invoked to revive him with twelve child souls has been talked down to reviving Tara with only the souls of two adults (I'm sure you can guess how that ends).

This falls flat mainly because it serves to remind us of how little we’d really gotten to know Johnny. He cares about Tara...and that’s all we know. Now this important character trait of “jealousy” is being told to us in the last moments of the episode, and serves only to give his parents their inevitable comeuppance.

As for the Dawson’s casting, maybe they couldn’t find better actors of the appropriate ages, but it really kills the mood. Even though we’re told Johnny is supposed to be 15, Tara and his parents speak to him as if he’s substantially younger, so I suspect a rewrite. I imagine that this episode would have been far more disturbing if Tara had actually been played by a 13-year-old, and Johnny had been aged down to 10.

I was a bit surprised to realize that William Malone is the first Master whose work I’m completely unfamiliar with. I’ve heard that FearDotCom is terrible, but I’ve never seen it. Nor have I seen either of his Tales from the Crypt episodes, I read through his entire IMDB page, and couldn’t find a single thing I’d seen that wasn’t this very episode.

That said, assessing him only on his work here, I find him to be uninspired at best. The Fair-Haired Child isn’t especially scary, and many of the visuals that attempt to be frightening are cheesy. Even Incident On and Off a Mountain Road succeeded in making the episode look scary. Here, there’s just nothing.

I say avoid this episode, unless you’re just determined to see the whole show. I don’t feel any strong hatred towards this story. In fact, I don’t really feel anything towards it. It just kind of is…

No comments:

Post a Comment