Friday, January 1, 2016

100 Scariest Movie Moments: #51 The Dead Zone

Stephen King has made no secret of the fact that he prefers the mini-series adaptations of his work over the film versions. He feels that novels are written more in the style of a television series than films, with “chapters” representing the time between commercial breaks, and “Books” or “Parts” representing episodes. I'm not sure what he thinks about the ongoing TV series based on his work. I can say that I have enjoyed what I've seen of The Dead Zone TV series, probably more than I enjoyed the movie. Still, I can't help but imagine what a Mick Garris mini-series would be like, giving the story lines time to play out, but without a lot of filler.

Why do I bring this up? Because to me, The Dead Zone movie feels extremely rushed. Our protagonist, John Smith (Christopher Walken), goes into a coma after a car accident and wakes up years later to find he now has psychic visions. Then, he has to help a sheriff hunting a serial killer. Finally, he has to try to assassinate a politician destined to bring about nuclear war when he's elected President.

Right there you have a perfect three-episode structure which has all been crammed into an hour an forty-five minutes. There are some great epiphany moments that advance the plot, but the human element seems lacking. Most of the character development goes to Johnny and his attempts to deal with what he is, leaving these other events in which he plays a role woefully underdeveloped as anything more than plot devices.

We never feel the clock ticking down as Johnny tries to locate the killer, finding him is far too easy. And when Johnny buys a rifle and goes to kill Greg Stilson (Martin Sheen), it seems like a decision he came to with surprising speed and little mental anguish. I checked the timer, he finds out about the nuclear Apocalypse within the last 20 minutes of the movie, and from there moves directly to planning Stilson's death.

While it's been years since I've seen the show, I find myself mentally comparing this movie to a filler episode in the series. In that episode, Johnny received a blood transfusion from several people, and as a result, had a vision of one of them dying. He spent the whole episode trying to track them down and touching each of their lives, only for a man he'd inspired as a writer to step in and save the female bike messenger who would otherwise have been hit by a truck. Cheesy as it was, the message there was clear; this story is as much about the people whose lives are affected by Johnny as about Johnny himself. However, this movie is purely Johnny.

Walken's performance here works well. I usually think Walken does his best work in comedy, because of his tendency to be stilted and awkward. Here though, he's portraying a man who gained psychic powers through brain damage. It makes sense that he would come across as weird.

Martin Sheen really steals every scene he's in. He's a sleazy politician, and he loves being exactly that. I wish he had more direct interactions with Walken, but I suppose that's forgivable. There's no real reason for either of them to ever really talk to the other. I suppose I give the movie points over the show for that logic. The show gave us a Johnny and Stilson who found constant excuses to talk, despite hating each other.

Of course, this all brings us to the real question: Is it scary? It didn't leave me shaking in my boots, but it did put me ill at ease. Johnny's inability to convince people that he legitimately knows the future is off putting. However, that idea in and of itself is something that's been done to death.

What scares me more is the idea of someone like Johnny; someone who has knowledge of the future, and who is willing to decide who does or doesn't deserve to live based on crimes yet to be committed. Since his actions appear to be the only thing that can change the future, presumably he is the only one of us with true free will. The idea that one person gets to judge you for what you will do, and is absolutely justified in that... yes, that terrifies me.

I do recommend this movie. Not as strongly as many on this list, but I recommend it nonetheless. It's a well-acted, well-directed movie that you won't regret seeing.

Interestingly, this is one of the few reviews I've done where I don't spoil the ending, mainly because I don't see any particular reason to do so. It just left me thinking “...yes, that's an ending.” It didn't greatly affect how I thought about anything else in the movie, so I don't see any reason to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment