Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Wednesday Review: Krampus the Shadow of Saint Nicholas

Timing was a bit inconvenient for Krampus: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas. It was originally to be released 3 days before the film it draws inspiration from. However, the film was delayed by a week, and I'm sure I'm not the only Dougherty fan who read it before seeing the film. I strongly advise anyone else against doing this, because the exposition needed to understand the comic is in the film. I don't believe Krampus is ever even mentioned by name, let alone his servants.

There's also a lot of debate about the ending of the film that is indirectly resolved in this comic. Of the two competing theories regarding the film's end, only one seems supported by this comic. I take that as canon...and a massive spoiler

While based on Krampus, this comic better fits the style of Trick 'R Treat and it's tie-in comic. It's an anthology telling three stories, happening on the same night, and tying into sins of the past that Krampus comes to punish. Each of the stories are short enough that telling too much would spoil.

The three are based around an alcoholic Vietnam veteran turned mall Santa, a policewoman dealing with guilt over the death of her sister, and a family that seeks shelter in a large home after being evicted from their house. For my money, I'd say the middle story is the best. It's fairly standalone, and easy to follow. You could actually remove Krampus from it entirely and have a touching and tragic one-shot.

Is the comic as good as the movie? No. But, it's good. Good enough that I recommend picking up a copy right after you finish the film. I wish this review could be longer, but I'm biting my tongue to hold back the surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment