Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Review: A Very Supernatural Christmas

I thought I should start including Christmas-themed reviews, but Christmas day obviously wouldn't work. I decided when I started this blog that, until I completed my initial list of movies, nothing would interrupt my Monday/Friday schedule. So, that leaves Christmas Eve, with Demons as my Christmas review. Hooray! And what better way to share the spirit than with my own personal Christmas tradition: A Very Supernatural Christmas.

This has long been my single favorite episode of the series, and one that I've returned to far more times than any other. I doubt that Supernatural fans need any introduction, but for the uninitiated: brothers Sam and Dean come to a town where a mysterious creature is attacking people during the build-up to Christmas. Sam develops a theory that the creature is some form of “anti-Claus,” Santa's evil counter-part, such as Krampus or Black Peter.

Normally with Christmas episodes the story-arc has to be paused for the episode's story. However, here we have a perfect blend, as the story-arc kicks off the main personal conflict of the episode: Dean has sold is soul at this point in the series, and barring a miracle his contract will expire in the next year. He expects to never see another Christmas. So, he wants to celebrate, while Sam refuses to pretend to be happy knowing his brother is dying.

It's a story that works perfectly for both the casual viewer, and the hardcore fanboy of this show. It combines with some flashbacks that make their father's absence on Christmas a major factor in their childhoods. Ironically, the absence of their father from post-Season 2 episodes probably has more to do with Jeffrey Dean Morgan's film career, but here it twists our emotional screws perfectly.

It reminded me of Krampus (I can't talk about that movie enough), mainly because it felt like a legitimate Christmas story. While dark and violent, Christmas was not portrayed as evil itself. Rather, it was portrayed as a shining light of hope in a black world, being intruded on by darkness. The ending completely reinforces this.

As with my Halloween review, I don't want to spoil the ending. I can only say that you'll enjoy it if you're a fan of dark Christmases, and bad Santas.

No comments:

Post a Comment