Friday, September 25, 2015

100 Scariest Movie Moments: #79 Dracula (1931)

I'll be honest, I've never seen the appeal of the story of Dracula. My personal view is that it was a pot boiler that just had the dumb luck of being chosen as the source material for one of the most famous silent horror films of all time (Nosferatu, which is on this list, but I have yet to watch it as of this writing). Solely because of that it was labeled as a “classic.” But, if that’s the case, then it's truly ironic that Stoker's widow tried to have every copy of Nosferatu destroyed.

Beyond that, it’s a story which we've outgrown as a culture. The original novel clearly used Dracula's corruption of women as symbolic of their awakening sexuality. Stoker might as well have beaten his readers to death with a sign that read “FEMALE SEXUALITY IS EVIL!” Don't get me wrong, we haven't outgrown Dracula the character, but he's far from the creature he was in the original novel.

To date, I've seen one version of the story I fully enjoyed: the Spanish Language version of this very film that was shot parallel to the Bela Lugosi version for foreign release. I also felt that the Francis Ford Coppola adaptation wasn't terrible, but it mostly shined when it expanded upon the source material by giving Dracula a more sympathetic origin without making him seem weak or uninteresting. (Looking at you Dracula Untold).

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let me say that I enjoyed this viewing more than previous viewings, as I felt that I finally “got” it. I'm very used to the idea of Dracula (Bela Lugosi) as the suave lover, so this was the first time I realized that Lugosi was supposed to come across as stiff and stilted. He was an inhuman thing that rarely had reason to interact with mortals. Basically, I was watching him playing a corpse.

I feel guilty that my praise of the film must end with the performances of Lugosi and Dwight Frye, and their ability to create a number of tense scenes together. In fact, Frye is so amazing as Renfield, you wish that the entire film had been about him and Dracula having a battle of wills. Beyond that, I almost feel sorry for the movie. It's clear that it was made in a time before the proper use of film was fully understood. The camera movements are slight and the framing of shots not always well used. While it's better than some films from the day, you often feel as if you're watching a play rather than a true film, with the actors attempting to project both physically and verbally for the people in the back row and pausing to let every line sink in.

That said, these problems were quite common with many early films, and this movie was far from the worst offender. I'll be covering The Black Cat later on this list, a movie that's well-acted, but makes you think the director had never touched a camera before. So, in comparison, this is forgivable.

Dracula belongs on this list, because when it came out, it was horrifying. The assault by an inhuman thing disguised as a man, feeding by taking the lifeblood from his victims and corrupting their very essences to keep them from salvation. The fear hasn't gone away, but it’s now been joined by tedium and annoyance at the primitive values and primitive film making of the era of its origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment